FileSender, a service operated by Internet2, allows customers at member institutions to easily share large files (up to 1TB) at no cost. Caltech is a member institution so this service is available to all campus users with an access.caltech account.
To use the service:
- Go to https://filesender.internet2.edu
- Select California Institute of Technology from the list of available organizations.
- You willbe taken to a Caltech login page where you can enter your access.caltech username and password.
- You can then begin sharing large files up to 1TB in size.
- Uploads of any size with HTML5
- You need a very recent browser supporting HTML5, the latest version of the "language of the web"
- Currently Firefox 4 (and higher) and Chrome on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux are known to work
- Downloads of any size
- You need a modern browser; Adobe Flash or HTML5 are not required for downloads.
- Uploads smaller than 2 Gigabytes (2GB) with Adobe Flash
- If you can watch YouTube videos this method should work for you
- You need a modern browser running version 10 (or higher) of Adobe Flash
- FileSender will warn you should you try to upload a file that is too big for this method
- Limits of FileSender
Maximum recipient addresses per email: Up to 100 email addresses separated by a comma or semi-colon
Maximum number of files per upload: one - to upload several files in one transaction, compress them into a single archive first
Maximum file size per upload, with Adobe Flash only: 2 GB
Maximum file / voucher expiry days: 14