CALTECH MASTER CALENDAR
How to Add Events and Seminars
The Caltech Master Calendar delivers daily information about events taking place across the campus, from lectures and seminars to public entertainment and student-club activities. As an event planner, you will enter your events directly into the www.caltech.edu database. Any group on campus may request to have a member added to our list of Event Planners by emailing email@example.com and requesting to have a user added and mapped to event planners role.
Step-by-Step Process for Posting an Event/Seminar:
Go to http://www.caltech.edu/user and log in.
- Your username is the first part of the email address you used on Caltech Today, i.e. if you Caltech Today login was firstname.lastname@example.org, your username on www.caltech.edu is now xyz.)
- Password: On your first login, you will need to use the “forgot password” link to reset your password. DO NOT use your access.caltech password.
- At the top, left-hand corner, click on "Add content."
- Click on "seminar" if your item is a lecture or seminar, or "event" if it is any other activity on campus with a predetermined time and location.
Enter the title of your event.
- Please keep the name short and do not use all capital letters.
- If you are entering a seminar, the "title" field is used on the calendar's list of upcoming events. It should contain the name of the seminar series (e.g. Astronomy Tea Talk). The "seminar title" field should contain the title of the individual talk, (e.g. "Red-Shift Measurements from HST"). If the talk title is not yet known, leave the seminar title field blank.
- Enter the start and end times for your event using military (24-hour) time convention.
Begin typing the location of your event in the "location" field, and the system will create an autocomplete list for you to choose from.
- If the location is not on the autocomplete list, email email@example.com, and an administrator will add it.
Add the description of your event.
- For non-seminar events, the first portion of this text will automatically appear as the event's summary on the Master Calendar's list of events. Seminar events show the seminar title and speaker instead of the first part of the description.
- Seminar events ask for a “lecture series”; start typing the name of the lecture or seminar series and the system will create an autocomplete list for you to choose from. If your seminar is not part of an ongoing series, you may leave this field blank.
Begin typing the name of the organization sponsoring your event in the "sponsor" field, and the system will create an autocomplete list for you to choose from.
- If the organization is not on the list, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and an administrator will add it.
Enter the name of the contact person for the event, along with their phone number and email address.
- If your event has a web page of it’s own, you may include that as the Event URL and the event detail page will link to your other page.
- For seminars, enter the information on the speaker.
- For seminars you may also enter the seminar host’s name and email address. This information is NOT displayed on www.caltech.edu but is included in the calendar feeds that are used to build seminar listing pages on division or group sites.
- The "Show to" field allows you to determine if the event will be visible on the Master Calendar. If you choose "Everyone," it will be included on the Caltech Master Calendar. If you choose "Do Not Display," the event will be included in the feeds used for displaying events on other websites, but will not be shown on www.caltech.edu.
- Save your posting.
If you have questions or problems entering events, please email email@example.com, and an administrator will get back to you.