CALTECH CAMPUS ANNOUNCEMENTS
How to Post an Announcement
The Around Campus section of Caltech's website is a place for Caltech departments, divisions, clubs, and other organizations to share announcements with members of the Caltech community.
As an announcement administrator, you will enter your notices directly into the www.caltech.edu database. Departments on campus may request to have a member added to our list of announcement administrators by emailing email@example.com and requesting to have a user added and mapped to event announcement administrators role. If your group was not posting announcements to Caltech Today, please ask us to add your group to the list of groups from whom we expect to receive announcements.
A designated icon or graphic will appear beside announcements for each group, so if you have a logo or icon, please include it in your email.
The Weekly Update directory email, which is sent each Monday, will include announcements from the prior week that were posted before the end of day on Thursday.
Step-by-Step Process for Posting an Announcement:
- Request a user account for entering campus announcements by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Go to http://www.caltech.edu/user and log in.
- Your username will be set to what you requested in step one. If you did not specify a username it is usually the first part of your email address, i.e. if your email address is email@example.com, your username on www.caltech.edu is now xyz.
- Password: On your first login, you will need to use the “forgot password” link to reset your password. For security reasons, DO NOT use your access.caltech password.
- At the top, left-hand corner, click on "Add content." If your only role on the site is to add campus announcements, you will be taken directly to the add announcement form. If you are also an event planner, you will need to choose “Campus Announcement” from the list of items you may add.
Enter a title for your announcement.
- Please keep the title short and do not use all capital letters.
- Select your group from the “Section Name” pull down. If your group is not on the list, please do not post your announcement to someone else’s section. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request your group be added to our section list.
- If you would like for your name to appear as the writer in the RSS feed, fill out the "writer" field. If not, leave that field blank.
- Add your announcement in the "Body" field.
- Generally you may ignore the “Teaser Info” section. This section exists to allow you to provide an alternate, shorter title for use when space is at a premium.
- Save your posting.
- This will save the Announcement on our site but no one else will be able to see it until you “Publish” it. When you are viewing an unpublished item, it will have a pink background to remind you that this is only visible to you (and to the Marketing and Communications team).
- To publish your content, click the “Edit” link in the preview page and choose “Publish” at the bottom of the form. Now it shows up both on the "Around Campus" (www.caltech.edu/around-campus) page and on the archive page for your section.
If you have questions or problems entering announcements, please email email@example.com, and an administrator will get back to you.