access.caltech Account Information
What is an access.caltech Account?
An access.caltech account is a username and password associated with your real name and your Caltech UID number, granting you authorized access to IMSS computing services. You have access to most of our services as soon as your account is created, but some require you to sign up for them specifically. There is no charge for most IMSS services for eligible Caltech users. PLEASE NOTE that your access.caltech account information should not be shared with anyone. Your access.caltech password should be known by only one person: you, the account-holder.
- Who is eligible for an access.caltech Account
- How to get an access.caltech Account
- All About Your access.caltech Account Password
- How IMSS Deletes Accounts
- Information for graduating Caltech students
- Specific access.caltech account information for inbound Caltech students
Specific access.caltech account information for inbound summer program students (who are not also Caltech students)
Briefly, your access.caltech account is the key to the following services, and more:
- Update your personal information
- Access Registrar's Information System (REGIS)
- Access UID Billing & Payment (CASHNet)
- Register your vehicle
- Change your password
- Configure your password challenge questions so you can reset your account password
- Manage email forwarding
Note:If you choose not to use the email features of your account, we ask that you set up email forwarding to an account where you do read your messages so IMSS system administrators can easily contact you about this account
- Benefits Annual Enrollment
- Data Warehouse
- Office 365
- My Personal Information
- Registrar's Information System (REGIS)
- Techmart e-Procurement
- Time Keeping (Kronos)
- To learn more about how to use your IMSS account with Windows systems, please refer to the Windows Services page.
- Remote Access to the Caltech network
- Windows services
- Web Hosting
- Library public computers
- Software Site Licensing software.caltech.edu
In slightly more detail, your access.caltech account allows you authorized access to:
Your access.caltech account's email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can also forward email sent to your IMSS account; see here.
You have a 1GB data storage disk quota on the IMSS systems. Additional storage may be purchased in 1GB increments. Please click here for details about purchasing additional storage.
You may connect to the Windows services, click here for details
- To access IMSS Windows Cluster resources, enter your username in the form of "username@its" with your password. Click here for details.
You can publish web pages, click here for more info.
On-Campus Network Connectivity
Campus Network Services
To register a name other than the default name for your computer, submit a request at https://help.caltech.edu (request type IMSS-->Network, Wireless & Remote Access-->Host and Address Requests).
Undergraduate Student Houses
The undergraduate house residences have either 100Base-T or 10Base-T ports (one or two per room). Configure your computer with the IP address and other network information for your port. If your network port is missing its configuration sticker, contact your student house rep: Student House Rep Contacts or Student House Network Services.
Remote Access to the Caltech Network and the Internet
IMSS VPN Service
If you live off-campus, and need to access Caltech-only restricted resources on the Caltech network, you can use any Internet Service Provider and the IMSS VPN service. Many users choose a non-Caltech DSL ISP and IMSS VPN for their home computers: IMSS VPN webpage.
Software Site Licensing Service
Symantec Anti-Virus, Microsoft Office, and other software packages are included, most at no charge. IMSS strongly recommends installing Symantec Anti-Virus on every computer connected to the Caltech network, and it is free for most Caltech users: IMSS Software Licensing
Many Other Services
Announcements and information may be found at our home page: http://imss.caltech.edu/