Logon to Windows Computers Joined to Active Directory
By default, any user who has an IMSS Account can log into any Windows workstation that is joined to the IMSS Active Directory - unless that machine's administrator has explicitly denied access. This guide details the process of logging in to a workstation that is joined to the IMSS Active Directory.
First, you must first have an IMSS Account to logon to any of the Windows computers joined to IMSS Active Directory.
- Please view the IMSS Account Information section for information regarding IMSS Accounts.
Second, if your account was created prior to summer 2003, you must synchronize your password.
- As part of the security that we enforce to connect to IMSS Windows Servers, passwords must meet the password policy requirements mentioned in All About Your IMSS Account Password.
- To synchronize your password, access the ITS Web Utilities System by opening a web browser to https://utils.its.caltech.edu and logon with your current IMSS username and password.
- If your password meets the new requirements, a green "OK" message will appear and your password will automatically be synchronized. Simply select the "Log out" option.
- If your password does not meet the requirements, an error message will display telling you so. You must change your password to one that does. Select the "Change password" link and enter your new password in the "Please enter your new password" field, and type it again in the "Enter it again as confirmation" field.
- Now select the "Log out" option, and then log back in again, using your new password. This time you should see the green "OK" message, meaning your password has been automatically synchronized.
Third, after synchronizing your password, or if your IMSS Account was created after summer 2003....
For Windows 2000, 2003, XP, and later:
At the Windows logon prompt, enter your username in the form username@its and your associated IMSS password. You should now be logged onto Windows.
For Windows NT:
At the Windows logon prompt, enter your username in the form ITS\\username and your associated IMSS password. You should now be logged onto Windows.
For Windows 9x:
Please see the instructions, Logon from Windows 9x Computers to Active Directory.