LastPass is a secure password manager that stores and organizes your passwords in an encrypted vault. Passwords are synchronized to any user device that uses the LastPass app or browser extension. Features include:
- Access your passwords across devices
- Built-in password generator creates long, randomized passwords
- Conveniently and safely share passwords and notes with your team
- Multi-factor authentication adds extra security to your LastPass account by requiring a second log in step before authorizing access to your vault
- Automatic URL-matching against password vault entries helps guard against phishing attacks
- AES-256 encryption with PBKDF2 SHA-256 and salted hashes
|LastPass Enterprise||Faculty, Postdocs, Staff||Free|
|LastPass Premium for Personal Use||Faculty, Postdocs, Staff, Students||Free|
View the Enterprise and Premium feature comparison table.
Enterprise - Faculty, Postdocs, Staff
DUO (multi-factor authentication) is required to log in to LasPass. If you are not currently set up for Duo, review the multi-factor authentication page, you can then sign up for Duo via one of these options:
- Self register for Duo at access.caltech.edu (Self Service > Register yourself with Caltech Duo)
- Submit a request at help.caltech.edu (request type: IMSS > Information Security > Duo Request)
- To request LastPass, submit a ticket via https://help.caltech.edu (request type: IMSS > Information Security > LastPass > Request Form)
- You will receive an invitation from the Help Desk, once your Enterprise account has been enabled
- Be prepared to select a strong master passphrase and be sure it's something you will remember
- Visit the Setup Guide page for instructions on setting up LastPass
Premium - Personal use for Students, Faculty, Staff and Postdocs
Students are eligible for LastPass Premium. In addition, all Caltech users can set up a LastPass Premium account for personal use. If you already have a LastPass Personal account, by following these steps you can upgrade to LastPass Premium.
- Go to https://lastpass.com/partnerpremium/caltech
- Enter your Caltech email
- Enter the personal email you would like to use with your personal LastPass Premium account
- Do not use your Caltech email address for your personal LastPass account. It must be something else like gmail.com or another domain.
- Click Submit
- A Congratulations page will display and a confirmation email will be sent to your Caltech email
- Go to your Caltech email and open the email from LastPass to complete your Premium account setup.
- NOTE: If you are already set up with a Caltech LastPass Enterprise account, following the above steps will create a LastPass Premium account for personal use, which you can then optionally link to your Enterprise account. This will allow you to easily save and access both work passwords in your Enterprise account and personal passwords in your Premium account while logged into your Enterprise account.
The following guides provide instructions on how to set up your LastPass account as well as details on how to get started with LastPass.
Last Pass Enterprise
IMSS recommends that you review the training material provided by LastPass. Access to this training material requires creating a Skilljar account. Use the code lastpass-101 to sign up.
LastPass "Free" Plan Changes
On February 16, LastPass announced changes to their free plan. Starting on March 16, 2021, LastPass free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type (computers or mobile devices). Currently, LastPass offers access across two device types – computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, and tablets). When this change happens in March users will be limited to one device type.
IMSS recommends signing up for LastPass Enterprise to keep track of your work passwords and LastPass Premium to keep track of your personal passwords. Users of LastPass Enterprise or LastPass Premium on Caltech's plan are not affected by this change.