Jin Chang, CIO
MESSAGE FROM THE CHIEF INFORMATION OFFICE
Information Management Systems & Services (IMSS) provides the talent, tools, and infrastructure that support Caltech's research and education mission with the freedom and flexibility to pursue innovative paths of inquiry and discovery.
As we conclude FY22, we are pleased to share our annual report. In this report, you will learn how Information Management Systems & Services (IMSS) has supported Caltech's research and education mission while continuing to provide robust services for our administration needs. We also established the Infrastructure and Data Services (IDS) group by combining Academic Systems, Business Systems Architecture, and Business Systems Infrastructure. Since the re-organization was completed in mid-year, their accomplishments have not been combined separately in this year's annual report. The notable accomplishments of each group are outlined below.
- Academic Computing Services (ACS) continue to support more than 500 websites and 70+ web applications. For the main Caltech website, significant efforts were dedicated to implementing the robust content delivery network (CDN) to prevent distributed denial of service (DDOS) attacks.
- Academic Media Technologies (AMT) has supported more than 150 projects, facilitated close to 100 virtual and in-person events and webinars, posted 180 YouTube videos, and completed close to 40 AV technology installations.
- Infrastructure and Data Service (IDS) supported both on-prem and cloud computing and storage infrastructure that includes 300 virtual servers, 170 virtual desktops, and 300 Amazon cloud computing in addition to mission-critical Oracle databases. IDS also completed a successful expansion of the Resnick central campus high-performance computing system (HPC) that supports ~2,000 researchers and processed more than 11 million HPC jobs submitted by them.
- Information Security (IS) has blocked more than 1.5 million attacking IP addresses at the network perimeter and completed campus-wide deployment of more than 7,700 Duo multi-factor authentication (MFA) by working with the IMSS help desk.
- Institute Business Systems (IBS) worked on multiple strategic projects such as CURO (new compensation tool), regular rate of pay (RROP), cloud disaster recovery (phase I), protocol application (PAS), electronic division approval form (eDAF) and biosketch. IBS also processed more than 3,200 system change requests.
- Networks and Support Services (NSS) has supported 15 construction projects and added more than 500 wired ports and more than 270 wireless access points to the campus networks. NSS also processed close to 15,000 help requests and oversaw Zoom infrastructure, which hosted more than 193,000 virtual meetings. NSS continues to manage more than 1,300 PCs.
I hope as you read the rest of this annual report, you can see our commitment to Caltech's success. I would also welcome your feedback regarding emergent opportunities and how we can be more effective. The report outlines a summary of annual accomplishments for each of IMSS functional areas: Academic Computing Services, Academic Systems, Academic Media Technologies, Information Security, Institute Business Systems, and Networks and Support Services.
Chief Information Officer