Data Storage & Backup
Local Data Storage
IMSS offers data storage solutions for both individuals and groups/departments on campus. As part of your IMSS (access.caltech) account you are provided with 1GB of local data storage. Please visit the Individual Data Storage page for information about personal storage. In addition, groups may request shared data storage for their departments. More information may be found at Group/Department Storage.
IMSS provides several solutions for cloud collaboration and data storage. If you are unsure which option to choose, use the same product as the rest of your group.
- Box offers secure storage and collaboration for individuals and groups, enabling secure file sharing and access to your files online.
- OneDrive for Business offers secure storage and collaboration for individuals, and may be used for secure file sharing and access to your files online.
- SharePoint is a place for teams and workgroups to securely store, organize, share, and access information and projects online.
- Caltech Dropbox is a file exchange center for files too large to be sent via email.
- FileSender allows users to easily share large files up to 1TB.
Academic-Specific Collaboration Tools
- LabArchives is a cloud-based electronic notebook that enables researchers to securely store, organize, and publish their research data online.
- Course Management (Moodle) is a learning management system that allows instructors and students to interact (view syllabi, download assignments, take surveys).
- RADR (Repository for Administrative Documents and Records) stores encrypted documents in a highly secure environment, with robust search functions, auditing, and customizable security features and access controls.
|Features||Box||OneDrive for Business||SharePoint||Caltech Dropbox||FileSender|
|Sync Client **||PC/Mac
|File Size Limit||5GB||10GB||10GB||2GB||1TB|
|Office Integration ***||n/a||n/a|
|Share files with users
outside of Caltech
(HIPAA, FERPA, etc.)
|Uses Caltech login|
|Research group or individual requiring external collaboration with other universities||Box|
|Administrative individual already using Microsoft Office products||OneDrive for Business / Box|
|Project, team, or department needs a shared space to store group documents||Box / SharePoint|
|Individual needs to send a large file to someone else (Caltech or external)||Caltech Dropbox / FileSender|
|Private department intranet, including staff directory, document repository, forms, calendars, announcements, and sub-sites per teams/functions||SharePoint|
|Custom form workflows, including the ability to email users based on form fields or conditions, approval routing, automated record deletion for HIPAA compliance, filtered and sorted views of form database||SharePoint|
|Project or initiative that requires collaboration across departments and divisions, as well as a shared workspace for documents, calendar, announcements, and task assignment||SharePoint|
IMSS acknowledges that some may prefer to use other cloud storage solutions such as DropBox or Google Drive. While we do not discourage these options, it is important to note that neither DropBox nor Google Drive have business agreements with Caltech to guarantee your data's security (i.e. no data mining, HIPAA and FERPA compliance, or whether data is stored in the US).
* Unlimited storage is available by request for faculty and staff. See here for more details.
** Drive/file mapping is available in some cases. OneDrive for Business and SharePoint both natively allow file mapping only from the Office applications. Box allows file mapping from Office applications with the installation of the Box for Office plug-in.
*** Office integration with OneDrive for Business and SharePoint is native. Office integration with Box is only possible with the installation of Box Edit.