Caltech IMSS has an Academic Site License that permits the use of National Instruments software on university-/college-owned computers and resources. Review the information below to learn how to obtain and use software products such as NI LabVIEW and NI Multisim for your academic needs.
What Is LabVIEW?
LabVIEW is a complete development environment built specifically to make users more productive and ensure they have all the tools they need to design, prototype, and build measurement and control systems. It provides unprecedented hardware and software integration and a flexible graphical development environment that reduce complexity and save development and deployment time. LabVIEW inspires you to solve problems, accelerates your productivity, and gives you the confidence to continually innovate. Find out more about LabVIEW at ni.com/labview.
LabVIEW Teaching License for Caltech
Any instructor can take advantage of this license for use in the classroom, computing lab, or teaching laboratory to add hands-on learning across multiple science and engineering disciplines. Educators may also install software on their PCs for curriculum preparation. The license includes access to LabVIEW and additional NI software.
The LabVIEW Site License includes software for
- Core engineering
- Measurements and data management
- Controls and robotics
- Real-time and embedded systems
- Signal processing and communications
|LabVIEW (Caltech computer)||Faculty, Staff, Visitors||$100 per year, starting October 8|
|LabVIEW (personal computer)||Students for academic use||$100 per year, starting October 8|
The NI LabView software site license at Caltech requires a disconnected license file to run.
- Download and install the LabView software. (Note that this can be downloaded directly from National Instruments; register for a free account with your Caltech email address.)
- After installation, locate your computer ID. Click here for instructions on how to find your computer ID.
- Submit your computer ID via a Caltech Help request at https://help.caltech.edu (request type IMSS > Software Licensing & Distribution > Other). Please allow up to 48 hours for your request to be completed.
- After receiving your disconnected license file, save the file to the computer you have installed LabVIEW on.
- Open NI License Manager by selecting Start > All Programs > National Instruments > NI License Manager.
- Choose Options > Install License File from the menu.
- Select the disconnected license file and click OK.
- Note: You can also install the license file by dragging-and-dropping the file into the NI License Manager user interface.
Training Resources - Online
- Faculty and Graduate Students - You are eligible for NI self-paced online training but you must first create an NI user profile and then register yourself as an end user of the academic site license<they must contact you, the admin, to get the serial number for registration>.
- Undergraduate Students - ni.com/students/learnlabview
- Access free self-paced online training modules for LabVIEW and other NI software. Watch getting started with LabVIEW videos for students to get up and running with LabVIEW.
NI Device Drivers
Visit ni.com/drivers to download individual device drivers for NI instruments and drivers for third-party instruments.