Effective April 2020, Caltech will no longer offer the volume license for Microsoft Windows.
Most computers include Windows and the volume license is no longer needed. However, if after the April cut-off you have a computer needing the Windows Pro volume license you may submit a request for review via https://help.caltech.edu (request type: IMSS > Software Licensing & Distribution > Purchase Request Inquiry). Licenses are limited and the request needs to be reviewed and approved by IMSS.
|Microsoft Windows Pro (volume license) currently||Faculty, Staff for Caltech computers only||Free|
|Microsoft Windows Enterprise (M365 subscription-based) beginning April 2020||
A3 licensees for Caltech computers only
See here for more details about A3 licensing
Windows Enterprise (M365 subscription-based) Activation Prerequisites
This license will be available starting April 2020. Please review the prerequisites for this license activation:
- You must be an A3 licensee to use Caltech's Windows Enterprise license (refer to eligibility here)
- Caltech's Windows Enterprise license is an upgrade license, which means that it may only be used on computers with an existing Windows operating system
- Using Caltech's Windows Enterprise license as a secondary operating system in a dual-boot system is not allowed (i.e. using Parallels, VDI, VMWare Fusion)
- You should only activate Caltech's Windows Enterprise license for Caltech-owned computers
- Activating Caltech's Windows Enterprise license on a non-Caltech-owned computer is NOT recommended as it may result in an unusable operating system upon leaving Caltech or when your Caltech account is deactivated
- Activating the Windows Enterprise license requires Windows 10 Pro (version 1903 or higher)