IMSS / Services / Computers, Printers & Software / Software / Matlab / Matlab License Renewal
Matlab License Renewal
Note that network installations of Matlab do not need to do anything to update their license. IMSS will update the campus Matlab license annually in November, which will automatically renew all network installations.
To renew your standalone Matlab installation before the license expires annually in November:
- Launch Matlab.
- From the Help menu, select Licensing > Update Current Licenses…
- Select the license that appears in the list, and click Update.
- A window asking you if you are sure will appear. Click Yes.
- Your license has been updated.
- Restart Matlab for the changes to take effect.
- Upon re-launching Matlab, the license expiration notice should no longer appear.
- Mac screenshot (.png), Windows screenshot (.png)
If you are unable to start MATLAB because your license has already expired, follow these steps to start the activation client:
- On Windows, go to the Start menu to the All Programs list. Select MATLAB, the MATLAB release, and then select the "Activate MATLAB" link.
NOTE: We recommend starting Matlab in "administrator mode".
- On Linux/Unix/Mac, run the activate_matlab.sh script found in your $MATLAB/bin folder.
Once you have started the activation process, follow these steps:
- Select "Activate automatically using the Internet", and click "Next".
- Log in with your MathWorks account by filling in your credentials and clicking "Next".
- Select your license number from the list that appears, and click next.
- Use the standalone key you used to activate the product. You can retrieve this key from your software.caltech.edu purchase receipt.
- Submit your activation by clicking "Activate".
- When activation is complete, click "Finish" to start MATLAB.
- You will need to restart MATLAB once finished.